Free Things to Do in LA


I love living in LA. There's always so much to do, see, and explore. After living here for a year, I still have an LA bucket list that's a mile long. I could live here for years and years, and never run out of cool places to explore! I've been able to cross a lot of the places off my list, but the problem is that I keep adding to it. Trendy restaurants and shops just keep popping up! That being said, it is not a cheap city to live in. It is so easy to spend money so fast, and I'm a college student on a very limited budget. The a $7 dollar Ubers, $4 lattes, and $8 ice cream cones (yes, those exist) sure do add up quickly. I try to stick to my budget instead of mindlessly spending money. If I do my research and plan, its still totally possible to have a great time in LA and not break the bank! Here are my favorite free things to do in LA!

Wall Crawl
If you're on Instagram, I'm sure you've seen photos of some of the murals along Melrose Avenue like the Paul Smith pink wall, the Global Angel Wings Project wall, and the Made in LA wall. Some incredible artists and iconic buildings are all so close together, and you can spend a whole afternoon just shooting (and posting!) pictures. I've personally never done the wall crawl. I can't decide if it's way too touristy and cliche, but either way it would be fun!

The Beach
Ah, the beach! It stretches on for miles and is the best way to unwind. I'll spend a whole Saturday there or even a few spare hours between classes. If you want a busy and fun vibe, head to Santa Monica. If you want a quieter and more relaxed vibe, Malibu is the place to be.

Runyon Canyon
If you want to find the best view of that legendary LA smog, spend a morning hiking Runyon Canyon. The trails begin right in the city, but you'll feel miles away. It's so nice to get in touch with nature and get some exercise. (Plus, all the trendy dogs, athleisure clothes, and Instagram opportunities)

The Getty
There are many incredible museums in LA, but my favorite is the Getty. Most museums participate in free days throughout the month. You can check out the schedule here.

Window Shop
There are tons of great walkable neighborhoods in LA, but my all-time favorite is Abbot Kinney Blvd. in Venice Beach. I actually wrote a post a while ago. Though Abbot Kinney has countless cool (and expensive) shops, window shopping is still super fun and completely free! More of my favorite places to shop and window shop are The Grove, Larchmont Village, and 3rd Street Promenade.

Yoga in the Park
I've recently started doing yoga a few times a week and have been loving it. Nothing makes me feel more refreshed and renewed like a great yoga class. Many organizations (including Lululemon) host free or donation based sessions on the weekends. You can check out the different ones here! They are usually in huge group settings at local parks or on the beach. The fact that it's free will leave you feeling great mentally, physically, and financially! Yay for free yoga!

1 comment

  1. I'm totally with you on the wall crawl! Yes, please! I hope to do that soon. Thanks for sharing, Hannah!

    XO from Texas,

    Sarah | The Bella Insider | @sarah_thebella

    ReplyDelete